Digital Ham Radio

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Tue Jul 10 21:29:18 UTC 2007

    I got my Amateur Radio software named Gmfsk compiled and working,
but when I try to transmit I get this error message.
*** opensnd: open: /dev/dsp: Device or resource busy ***

    I thought perhaps this means I have no ownership of /dev/dsp but I
found I OWN /dev/dsp which was a shock :-)

[karl at localhost ~]$ ls -al /dev/dsp
crw-rw----+ 1 karl root 14, 3 2007-07-10 04:42 /dev/dsp
[karl at localhost ~]$

    This software has been a problem but I got it working in FC6. There
I had to give myself uucp Group and then the Serial Port /dev/ttyS1
worked. I have already done that here but the /dev/dsp problem is a new one.

    Has anyone seen something like this?

Karl