Can't get wlan0 up

Paul paul at all-the-johnsons.co.uk
Wed Jul 11 01:09:09 UTC 2007

Hi,

I've managed to get ndiswrapper working happily now, but I'm having
problems configuring the card. Currently, I have
in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts the following for ifcfg-wlan0

IFV6INIT=no
ONBOOT=yes
USERCTL=yes
PEERDNS=yes
GATEWAY=
TYPE=wireless
DEVICE=wlan0
HWADDR=
BOOTPROTO=dhcp
NETMASK=
DHCP_HOSTNAME=
IFADDR=
DOMAIN=
ESSID=<myssid>
CHANNEL=1
MODE=Managed
NETWORK_TYPE=g
RATE=Auto

with

KEY=s:xxxxxxxx

in keys-wlan0

When I do /sbin/ifup wlan0, it fails to give me an IP address for the
network card

iwconfig wlan0 shows

wlan0     IEEE 802.11g  ESSID:off/any  Nickname:"T7.Linux"
          Mode:Auto  Frequency:2.412 GHz  Access Point:
Not-Associated
          Bit Rate:54 Mb/s   Tx-Power:20 dBm   Sensitivity=0/3
          RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
          Encryption key:454C-5855-444B-4A45   Security mode:restricted
          Power Management:off
          Link Quality:100/100  Signal level:5/154  Noise level:160/154

Any ideas on how to fix this?

If it helps, x86_64 kernel, using the 64 bit windows drivers for the
RTL8185 chipset connecting to Sky Broadband (UK ISP). I'm on rawhide
with ndiswrapper 1.47 installed.

TTFN

Paul