Mirage - best image viewer for Gnome desktop!

M Daniel R Magarzo 4.mdr.magarzo at gmail.com
Thu Jul 12 09:50:19 UTC 2007

El jue, 12-07-2007 a las 08:39 +0200, Valent Turkovic escribió:
> On Wed, 2007-07-11 at 13:52 -0600, Robin Laing wrote:
> > Nice program but it is just a basic viewer.  I prefer GQview as it
> > provides slideshow and file management tools.  Makes working with
> > images
> > very nice and fast when scanning through thousands of images.
> >
> > If I want, I can have thumbnails as well.
> >
> > http://gqview.sourceforge.net/
>
> Well, sure I love gqview and also love using it... but for a quick view
> it is too slow and too big application. I used to install kuickview from
> KDE on my Gnome desktop just because all other gnome apps were too slow
> for just quickly looking at a picture or two.

That's because you probably don't know the powerful qiv: qiv is a quick
image viewer, I think it's the fastest. Cool! I sometimes use it. It's a
CLI.

Concerning to eog, actually I use to remove it after the install, you
know.. "yum remove .." since (I don't know why but..) it ends up to
gatecrash in the install. I think it's a thing almost useless, ugly, ..

I agree with your impressions about gqview, probably the most complete/
effective for viewing lots of images. But if you also want somewhat of
editing (resize, etc..) without going for The Gimp, so the best IMO
probably should be gthumb.

To sum up, there have not much sense to claim for "the best image
viewer", that will depends on..

Daniel