Re: How to mount a dos floppy ?

Aaron Konstam wrote:
On Thu, 2007-07-12 at 11:19 -0400, Bob Goodwin wrote:
How do I mount an old dos floppy without making additions to fstab? I assume there is a proper way to do this since an icon comes up on the desktop when I plug the disk in to the drive but it can't deal with the file system apparently and refuses to mount. I don't know the magic incantation for the command line.

I have a few disks I need to extract text [.doc] files from.

Bob Goodwinis

The easiest way to do that is with the mtools commands(mdir, mcopy,etc.)

mdir a:/ will give you the directory of the floppy
mcopy a:/foo ./ will copy the file foo to the current directory.
Although mounting the floppy with file type msdos should also work.

Thanks for the suggestion, I will try as you say.

My daughter came across a stack of disks she didn't want to toss out but has no drive on her Mac to accommodate them. So I guess I am going to have to save the files to a CD and I prefer to work on my Linux box.
The result of a garage cleaning effort yesterday afternoon in 95°F heat.

Bob Goodwin