upgrading from FC6 to Fedora 7 problems

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Thu Jul 12 22:43:12 UTC 2007

Just to note some problems encountered when trying to upgrade an FC6
installation on a disk that I found lying around. The installer crashed
with an exception because of some glibc requirement it was trying to
satisfy. Previously I passed the error by upgrading the fedora-release
packages and then upgrading the glibc package. This worked out after
removing a few packages like k3b, openoffice and reinstalling them again
after the upgrade. The current installation is pretty much an everything
install. This installation has a slew of problems with trying to upgrade
packages via yum.

Anyway, I had an additional problem with the SIS video only coming up
with a scrambled raster which was the wrong frequency for the monitor. I
then tried the text installer instead when I had the exception related
to glibc.

Since there are so many problems with upgrades due to missing packages
and programs that reference files or added features to the distro, why
are upgrades not possible with the installer while booted into a working
system? I believe it would be more sane than performing an upgrade
within the installer. I mean you are upgrading, a GUI version of the
installer is pretty useless. You pick the system and choose a few
options, everything else is not a choice during upgrade.

Jim