Need File Thumbnails ?

William Case billlinux at rogers.com
Sat Jul 14 01:13:25 UTC 2007

Hi;

Sorry to be back with this question but it is driving me nuts.  I know
there has to be a simple answer.

On Fri, 2007-07-13 at 15:10 -0400, William Case wrote:
> Hi Frank;
>
> I am replying to you directly because you emailed me directly, but I
> cc'd the list because others may be having a similar problem or someone
> has an answer.
>
> On Fri, 2007-07-13 at 11:17 -0600, Frank Cox wrote:
> > On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 10:04:39 -0400
> > William Case <billlinux at rogers.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Nautilus does that for most image types, but not for *.png -- at least
> > > not for me.  Getting old; memories going; but I thought I used to be
> > > able to get a thumbnail with *.png.  Checked non-TuxPaint *.png; didn't
> > > display either.
> >
> > Nautilus displays png previews for me here.  I just checked to be sure.
> >
> > I'm running F7 at the moment, and I'm sure it did the same on FC6 and earlier
> > too.  I find the image preview to be very handy when selecting clipart and the
> > like.
> >
> Well my png is definitely not working.
>
> I don't want to run off screaming bug, bug.  I could easily have
> clicked, enabled or disabled something unintentionally.  But I have
> searched everywhere I can think of, double checked in gconfig-editor
> etc.
>
> If anyone has any suggestions, I would certainly appreciate them.
>
> (e.g. in gconfig-editor ==> gnome ==> thumbnailers there is a long list
> of applications@ ... that are all enabled.  I am not sure what they are
> exactly but they look like MIME types.  Maybe I am missing something in
> there ??)

Is it possible I failed to download and install a particular library or
graphics package that would make nautilus preview my *.png image files.
What is confusing is that *.png works on other people's F7 and my
nautilus previews all other image extensions.  As well, nautilus
preferences show_image_thumbnails is set to local only and shows other
extensions.

I am truly flummoxed.

--
Regards Bill