problem while sending gpg key to mit key server

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Sat Jul 14 20:28:04 UTC 2007

Mustafa Qasim wrote:

> On 7/15/07, *Mikkel L. Ellertson* <mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
> <mailto:mikkel at infinity-ltd.com>> wrote:
>
>     Mustafa Qasim wrote:
>     >
>     > Hello!
>     > a) Sorry for top posting. I didn't noticed that but I shall in future.
>     > b) I replace the .ssh and .gnupg directory with the backup i took
>     after
>     > just creating the keys and now keys are working well on my system but
>     > still I can't send it to the key server. Is the key server down? or
>     > please guide me how to locally extract the ASCII from my key and
>     > actually which one is the main key file holding the ASCII among the 5
>     > files in the .gnupg directory?
>     >
>     You do not need to know what file the key is in. As long as it is in
>     your keyring, gpg can extract it. This is what the --extract option
>     does. The --armor option give you the output in ASCII instead of
>     binary. The --outfile option will send the output to a file instead
>     of displaying it in the terminal. (The defaults sends it to the
>     standard output.)
>
>     If the name you used when creating the key was Mustafa, the you
>     would use:
>
>     gpg --export --armor --outfile key.txt Mustafa
>
>     This would create a file called key.txt in the current directory
>     with the ASCII representation of your public key. You can then open
>     key.txt in a work processor or text editor if you want.
>
>     As far as your problems with the key server, you can try using a
>     different one and see if that helps. Try using
>     random.sks.keyserver.penguin.de
>     <http://random.sks.keyserver.penguin.de> or subkeys.pgp.net
>     <http://subkeys.pgp.net> and see if that
>     works better.
>
>     Mikkel
>
> Sir, thanks for the 2 further key server links but both didn't work :((
>
> For the first server  random.sks.keyserver.penguin.de
> <http://random.sks.keyserver.penguin.de> it says that
> gpg: can not connect to "random.sks.keyserver.penguin.de
> <http://random.sks.keyserver.penguin.de>" : No such file or directory

That is strange. What it should do is pick a keyserver at random to
connect to. It is designed to spread the load among keyservers.

> and for the other  subkeys.pgp.net <http://subkeys.pgp.net> . it reacts
> like the pgp.mit.edu <http://pgp.mit.edu> ... gives connection time out
> error after 1 minute ..

How are you connecting to the Internet? Do you go through a proxy?
If so, you will need the "--keyserver-options http-proxy=value"
option or set http_proxy in your shell.

> Y all this is happening with me :( ..... Y i can't submit the key to the
> key server...

It sounds like something is blocking the connection from gpg to the
keyserver.

Were you able to generate the ASCII file of your key?

Mikkel