Installing on a USB drive

If you did an install on a USB drive to avoid space issues on the internal drives, (a) where will the boot install, and (b) what will happen if the USB drive is unplugged?

I have a laptop and don't want to mess with the internal drive with FC4, Win2k, and Slackware installed,I use it for training. I'd like to put Ubuntu on a plug-in, but I don't want to outsmart myself.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen tmr com>