Suspending to swap with two OS's

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Sun Jul 15 14:16:30 UTC 2007

On 15/07/07, Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com> wrote:
> Swap to file is not as fast, and I have the feeling that restore may be
> at too low a level to use it. There are some options on where the
> suspend data is written, I'm sorry I can't recall the details other than
> the fact that you can control that. Look for a boot option or something.
>
> This came out of a discussion I initiated regarding a restore requiring
> booting the same kernel that was suspended. The consensus was that that
> might not be true in the future, restoring whatever was suspended was
> possible if desired.

Well, I'm convinced then. Two swap spaces it will be. Does anyone see
anything wrong with 2.5 GB of swap space for a machine with 2 GB of
physical memory? I know the old adage of RAM*2.5 however, in the days
that adage was made, machines did not have 2 GB of physical RAM. In
fact Physical+swap didn't even get to 1 GB. I only want the swap so
that the machine will have a place to put the RAM when I suspend. This
machine also has 256 MB of video RAM, that I understand must be stored
as well, that's why I'll allocate 2.5 GB.

Thanks in advance.

Dotan Cohen

http://lyricslist.com/
http://what-is-what.com/