How to re-install grub in a RAID 0 system

Barry Yu barryyu-cts at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jul 16 02:30:21 UTC 2007

stan wrote:
> On Sun, 15 Jul 2007 00:35:34 -0700
> Barry Yu <barryyu-cts at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>

>> A system with 2 SATA 160 gb hard drive configured with RAID 0 by
>> Intel Matrix Storage Manager, XP pre-installed (F6 key SATA driver
>> installation), I installed FC6 and during installation, FC6 actually
>> detected all partitions as what XP detected and finally completed the
>> installation, up and ran for a while, both XP and FC6 seeing this
>> RAID configured volume as a single hard drive of 300gb (160gb x 2).
>> Now the problem is;
>>
>> I put an Ubuntu CD for live demo but got stuck during the initial
>> start, this actually screwed up the system booting and the Grub will
>> not work, I use the FC6 DVD and booted into rescue mode trying to do
>> the grub-install, however I got message saying that can't find the
>> BIOS driver (Can't remember exactly), I remember that during the
>> installation of FC6, Grub was installed in /dev/mapping/xxxxxxxxxxxx
>> something like that, but now when I do fdisk -l, I only can see
>> that /dev/sda1 and /dev/sdb1 (If I remember correctly or close
>> enough), grub-install /dev/sda will result "Can't find BIOS driver" .
>> Meantime, XP is up and running again after fix, but how to do the
>> grub-install to put the grub back into system as boot
>>

> Barry,
>
> grub is always installed under /boot, what you were seeing was a
> temporary location. I'm guessing that what happened is that the Master
> boot record got altered.  When you corrected this for windows, in true
> windows fashion it assumed that it was the only OS on the machine and
> wiped out the link to grub.  Someone else should be able to tell you
> how to recreate that link so you are back to where you started.
> Reinstalling FC6 will do it but that seems overkill for your case.

In fact I just finished another start from scratch new installation of
fc6, and and it is just working fine, this time I am going to watch out
the hard drive partition distribution and how were the fdisk and grub
looking at this RAID 0 volume, unless I give in RAID 0 to dual boot with
MS, or sooner or later I still have to deal with same situation again!