problem while sending gpg key to mit key server

Mustafa Qasim alajal at gmail.com
Mon Jul 16 04:06:25 UTC 2007

On 7/16/07, Tim <ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au> wrote:

> On Mon, 2007-07-16 at 09:24 +0600, Mustafa Qasim wrote:
> > for gpg --send-keys E35924AA --keyserver hkp://subkeys.pgp.net it says
> > gpg: no keyserver known (use option --keyserver)  ......  [I am
> > already using the --keyserver option ..]
>
> Most peculiar.  Try rearranging the order on the command line (put the
> key ID last).  I just tried the opposite (to sending), fetching that
> key.  Obviously it'll fail to get *that* key, because it's not on the
> server, but I expect a gpg error message that makes sense.
>
> This failed stupidly for me:
>
> [tim at gonzales ~]$ gpg --recv-keys E35924AA --keyserver
> hkp://subkeys.pgp.net
> gpg: "--keyserver" not a key ID: skipping
> gpg: "hkp://subkeys.pgp.net" not a key ID: skipping
> gpg: no keyserver known (use option --keyserver)
> gpg: keyserver receive failed: bad URI
>
> It didn't use the keyserver address as server address, but as the key to
> retreive.
>
> This failed sensibly for me:
>
> [tim at gonzales ~]$ gpg --keyserver hkp://subkeys.pgp.net --recv-keys
> E35924AA
> gpg: requesting key E35924AA from hkp server subkeys.pgp.net
> gpgkeys: key E35924AA not found on keyserver
> gpg: no valid OpenPGP data found.
> gpg: Total number processed: 0
>
> It connected, but there wasn't *that* key on their server.  If that key
> was there, it would have worked.
>
> Have a go at retreiving a key from the server, to see if that side of
> things works.
>
> > m not using LDAP so it none of my business
>
> You don't have to be, *they're* offering it as a communication protocol
> to use the keyserver.  Give it a try.
>
> > for mailto command it gaives the same error
> > gpg: no keyserver known (use option --keyserver)
>
> I think you might have to send us a copy of your gpg.conf file, but
> remove anything private FIRST (also leave a comment so we can see where
> you've done that).
>
> --
> (This box runs FC5, my others run FC4 & FC6, in case that's
> important to the thread.)

> --

in answer to recieve it says --rec-keys is an invalid option...
 wait a minute....Do i need to update the gpg package on my system. it's
kind of older version of Ubunto right now at this system from where i m
trying to send my key... what is the latest package for gpg command...

and what do u mean by removing private info from gpg.conf...... what part is
considered as private for teh key holder?
--
Mustafa Qasim
Lahore, Pakistan