Re: How to find total MB of a directory plus all subdirectories

On 3/6/07, Nigel Henry <cave dnb tiscali fr> wrote:
This is a silly question perhaps. I have my soundfiles in a directory named
Sounds Library, this contains many subdirectories, which contain the .wav
files.

What command can I use to find out the disk space this directory is taking up,
including all the files that are in the subdirectories?

Nigel.

Hi,
I hope you appreciate this great one-liner I found for enhaced 'du' -
it even knows how to sort kB, MB and GB sizes right!

ls -A | grep -v -e '^\.\.$' |xargs -i du -ks {} |sort -rn |head -11 |
awk '{print $2}' | xargs -i du -hs {}

Hope you like it.

--
http://kernelreloaded.blog385.com/