Re: How to find total MB of a directory plus all subdirectories

On Mon, 2007-07-16 at 19:35 +0200, Valent Turkovic wrote:
> On 3/6/07, Nigel Henry <cave dnb tiscali fr> wrote:
> > This is a silly question perhaps. I have my soundfiles in a directory named
> > Sounds Library, this contains many subdirectories, which contain the .wav
> > files.
> >
> > What command can I use to find out the disk space this directory is taking up,
> > including all the files that are in the subdirectories?
> >
> > Nigel.
> >
> > --
> >

> Hi,
> I hope you appreciate this great one-liner I found for enhaced 'du' -
> it even knows how to sort kB, MB and GB sizes right!
>
> ls -A | grep -v -e '^\.\.$' |xargs -i du -ks {} |sort -rn |head -11 |
> awk '{print $2}' | xargs -i du -hs {}

Very nice, but only summarizes the biggest 11 files (or directories).
To get more, modify the "-11" option to the "head" command or remove the
head command altogether (to get everything).

- Rick Stevens, Principal Engineer             rstevens internap com -
-           What is a "free" gift?  Aren't all gifts free?           -