ypbind init script fails

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Tue Jul 17 15:31:45 UTC 2007

Aaron Konstam wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-07-16 at 19:06 -0400, Andrew Robinson wrote:
>> I'm running FC6 on an eMachines laptop. I'm trying to configure NIS for
>> my growing home network. I seem to be having peculiar problems with the
>> ypbind init script. When I try to start the init script, it fails:
>>
>> [root at proteus ~]# /etc/rc.d/init.d/ypbind start
>> Starting NIS service:                                      [  OK  ]
>> Binding  NIS service: .........                            [FAILED]
>> Shutting down NIS service:                                 [  OK  ]
>>
>> However, I find that if I run the init script with the restart option,
>> it will often, but not always, succeed:
>>
>> [root at proteus run]# /etc/rc.d/init.d/ypbind restart
>> Shutting down NIS service:                                 [FAILED]
>> Starting NIS service:                                      [  OK  ]
>> Binding  NIS service: ...                                  [  OK  ]
>>
>> If I start ypbind by itself from a command line, it always succeeds. I
>> verify the successes and failures with ps, ypwhich and ypcat commands.
>>
>> Anyone have a clue as to what is going on here? I've been looking for
>> some indication in some log, but haven't found any. The goal is to get
>> the init script to succeed on boot up. (The init script gives the same
>> messages at bootup as it does when run with "start" from the command
>> line.)
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Andrew Robinson
> Looks to me that ypbind is not being shut down properly when things shut
> down. Look at the logs. Is there a complaint on starting ypbind thar a
> lock file has been lying around when it shouldn't.
>
> I would start with executing chkconfig ypbind off
> Then execute: chkconfig --level 35 ypbind on

From the response to a restart, it looks more like ypbind is
shutting down by itself. When you get the [FAILED] on shutdown, it
is usually because there is a PID file for the service, but the
program died. Because the PID files are cleaned up at boot, it is
not caused by the service not being shut down when the system shuts
down. When using "service restart <service>" or
"/etc/init.d/<service> restart", the links created by chkconfig ar
not used. The service file in /etc/init.d is run directly, and will
work even if the service in turned off by chkconfig.

Mikkel