Configuration of global procmail

Todd Zullinger tmz at pobox.com
Tue Jul 17 16:33:39 UTC 2007

Wojciech Komornicki wrote:
> I have posted this before but have not seen my own posting so let me
> try again.
>
> All of the information on procmail I have seen deal with one's own
> .prodmailrc file.  I had configured procmail on a DEC Alpha server
> running Digital UNIX but am having problems with procmail under
> Fedora 5.
>
> Procmail is enabled in sendmail.  However when /usr/bin/procmail is
> invoked even if there is no /etc/procmailrc file or a ~/.procmailrc
> file procmail fails with EX_TEMPFAIL.  I know that this means that
> there is an error in permissions but I am stumped as to how to reset
> the permissions. The permissions on on /usr/bin/procmail are
>         -rwxr-sr-x 1 root mail 69977 Jul 14 13:11 procmail
> which is what
>         make install-suid
> set.  procmail is registered in smrsh.
>
> Any advice is greatly appreciated.

More questions than advice. :)

Why are you manually installing procmail instead of using the packaged
version for F7?  The Fedora packaging doesn't install procmail setuid
(nor setgid) and hasn't done so since ~RH7 back in 2001.

$ ll /usr/bin/procmail
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root mail 91K 2007-03-27 08:34 /usr/bin/procmail

If you are running with SELinux in enforcing mode (the default), you
may want to look for denials in /var/log/audit/audit.log.

I'd first try the packaged version and see if that works better.

Silly monkeys, give them thumbs they make a club and beat their
brother down.