Re: How to get Festival text to speech working?

Joe Desbonnet wrote:
I'm trying to evaluate Festival text-to-speech on Fedora 7, but I get
this error:

festival --tts < test.txt
Linux: can't open /dev/dsp

Seems many people have this problem, but I can't see any fixes. As always
System -> Help is useless.

Obviously if it was shipped it must work somehow. Any suggestions?

Joe.

Hi Joe, I am having the exact same problem with a software called gmfsk which uses /dev/dsp for output and it always puts up a sign "cant open /dev/dsp" It works fine for processed input. I think we have another Bug Joe.

If anyone else has had this problem please speak up. But not many people use /dev/dsp :-)

Karl