Re: Changing permissions in /dev

Mark Knoop wrote:
Karl Larsen wrote:
Mark Knoop wrote:
Karl Larsen wrote:
There used to be a way to change permissions on the many /dev/xyz
directories. The /dev/dsp has a fancy permissions that do not work. I
want to change it back to root uucp and that I can handle
But what is your problem with /dev/dsp? Are you sure that the 'fancy'
permissions are causing it?

   Yes. I read several messages on this list that said applications are
not working if they are sending data to /dev/dsp. I have this problem
too. If you look at the permission with ls -l it has my login then root
and then that stupid sticky bit thing. When I call /dev/dsp with a GUI
device the permissions are changed it seems.

I think your problem is much more likely to be that another application
is already using /dev/dsp

What is the output of '/usr/sbin/lsof /dev/dsp' when you have this
problem?
   It just stops with no output.

 A better solution is to configure applications to use ALSA so
that you can have multiple sound sources playing simultaneously.

Alsa mixer is used by this application. It should work but I have a bug in on this too.

Karl