FC4, FC6, F7 what works, and don't

Chris Jones jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk
Wed Jul 18 22:20:07 UTC 2007

> One exception is a library that does the Fast
> Fourie Transorm on an input signal. It was available by yum on FC6 and
> F7 but when I tried to ./configure it would not find fftw.
> I had to get the tar ball and compile it and install on /usr/local/

Don't know about FC6, but its available just fine for F7 (see below) - No need
for the tarfile approach, although I guess it worked for you  ...

Notes

1. fftw and fftw2 are different -  don't know which you need.
2. Did you install the associated -devel package as well as the main library
package. You need the -devel package in order to get the header files need to
build other packages against it I.e. development).

Chris

[root at localhost ~]# yum search fftw
71 packages excluded due to repository priority protections

fftw-devel.i386                          3.1.2-3.fc6            fedora
Matched from:
fftw-devel
Headers, libraries and docs for the FFTW library
FFTW is a C subroutine library for computing the Discrete Fourier
Transform (DFT) in one or more dimensions, of both real and complex
data, and of arbitrary input size.

This package contains header files and development libraries needed to
develop programs using the FFTW fast Fourier transform library.
http://www.fftw.org/

fftw.i386                                3.1.2-3.fc6            fedora
Matched from:
fftw
FFTW is a C subroutine library for computing the Discrete Fourier
Transform (DFT) in one or more dimensions, of both real and complex
data, and of arbitrary input size.
http://www.fftw.org/

fftw2-devel.i386                         2.1.5-14.fc7           fedora
Matched from:
fftw2-devel
Headers, libraries and docs for the FFTW library
FFTW is a C subroutine library for computing the Discrete Fourier Transform
(DFT) in one or more dimensions, of both real and complex data, and of
arbitrary input size. We believe that FFTW, which is free software, should
become the FFT library of choice for most applications. Our benchmarks,
performed on on a variety of platforms, show that FFTW's performance is
typically superior to that of other publicly available FFT software.

This package contains header files and development libraries needed to
develop programs using the FFTW fast Fourier transform library.
http://www.fftw.org/

fftw2.i386                               2.1.5-14.fc7           fedora
Matched from:
fftw2