Re: A new use for Linux

Marc wrote:
Well, regardless, I have done plenty of file recovery with Helix.
True, it may be designed for forensics but copying files off of disks
is part of forensic work.  There are a lot of other disks that do
similar stuff.  I like Helix though - it has served me well on several
projects so far.  To each his own.

Marc

On 7/19/07, Dave Ihnat <dihnat dminet com> wrote:
On Thu, Jul 19, 2007 at 12:21:05PM -0400, Marc   wrote:
> There are also linux distros like Helix which are designed to
> facilitate file recovery.

Ah...Helix isn't primarily for file recovery; it's for computer forensics.
You need to look at something like System Rescue CD or The Ultimate
Boot CD for something targeted at manipulating/repairing/recovering systems
and/or data.
--
        Dave Ihnat
        President, DMINET Consulting, Inc.