Helix

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri Jul 20 16:16:16 UTC 2007

Karl Larsen wrote:
>    Using the Gnome CD Writer which is working well now, I made a Helix
> CD Rom and tested it. I watched as the tester ran through the things on
> the disk and it is really nice. It is a Knoppix type of construction
> much like the Fedora "Live F7" and the earlier one that brings up linux
> and then my favorite Amateur Radio software gmfsk. It actually works!
>
>    Now I want to get the Fedora CD image and see how it compares with
> Helix. I am right now wondering how much better Helix is than the simple
> rescue mode on the F7 DVD? I think the answer is that Helix has some
> binaries that begin XP this and that and have .exe extentions.
>
>    Helix works and it needs an expert to run it.

Knoppix is fairly usable as a windows rescue disk if you just want to
copy files off a working but non-bootable drive. I haven't used the most
current versions but it used to come up with read-only ntfs support and
had the option to install the captive driver from the windows partition
itself if you wanted r/w.  Since the network comes up normally, you can
use ftp/scp/rsync/nfs/samba, etc. to copy files elsewhere.  Exporting
via samba lets you poke around with windows tools from another machine.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com