problem connecting to my linus server with rsa keys through Putty on Windows

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Fri Jul 20 17:31:10 UTC 2007

Scott Berry wrote:
> Hello there,
>
> I am trying to connect to an ssh server on my linux machine via putty on
> a Windows machine.  I followed the instructions and made an
> authorized_keys2 file and ensured that the permissions were correct with
> ls -0lr.  Here are my permissions:
> [root at pilotalk .ssh]# ls -lr
> total 8
> -rw------- 1 root root 223 2007-07-20 09:51 authorized_keys2
>

> Now when I connect using my Windows machine to get in to root for my
> linux server I get the following error coming I assume from the linux
> server:
> PuTTY Fatal Error
> Server unexpectedly closed network connection
>
> What would be the most probable causes for this?  Everything looks perfect.
>
> Scott
What does your /etc/sshd_config say about root logins? Look for a
line that starts "PermitRootLogin". What you probably want is:

PermitRootLogin without-password

This lets you do key pair logins but not password logins as root.
You should also check the permissions of the .ssh directory. Other
things to check - is sshd running? Does your firewall allow
incomming ssh connections? You should check your logs to see what
kind of error message you get when you try to log in.

It is more secure to sent PermitRootLogin to no, ssh as a normal
user using a key pair, and su to root. But this is not always
possible when automating some applications. If you are only doing
console logins, please consider disabling root logins in ssh.

Mikkel