Enterprise Backup

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri Jul 20 18:00:43 UTC 2007

Rick Stevens wrote:

>> Does anyone have any advice on commercial or open source enterprise
>> level backup software. It would need the following:
>>
>> 1. Open file support
>> 2. Backup to disk
>> 3. Tape rotation
>> 4. 'snapshotting' would be nice but not essential
>> 5. A decent remote GUI (preferably web based)
>
> bacula is excellent at this.  We use it.  We've also used Amanda and
> it (she?) works pretty well.  A bit clunkier to interface to, but works.
> I use Amanda at home on a 4-tape DLT library.

Bacula is probably a more complete system, but also look at backuppc if
   you mainly want online backups because its compression and pooling
scheme will let you hold about 10x what you'd expect in a given amount
of disk space.  You can archive copies onto tape but it is a somewhat
manual operation.  I still run amanda for tape rotations since it is
mostly automatic but haven't had to restore from tape in years and hope
I never have to again.  Backuppc doesn't include open file support but
it can do pre/post backup commands and mail list users have reported
success at using those with win2003 server to create snapshots that can
be backed up completely.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com