cannot install fc7, fc6, or fc5 on new machine

stan stanl at cox.net
Sat Jul 21 01:17:16 UTC 2007

On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 16:25:03 -0700
Vicki and Dave Stevenson <vicndave at pacbell.net> wrote:

[snip ]

>I have similar luck trying to install with a dvd+rw burned from
>Fedora-7-Live-x86_64.iso. The choices were:
>    - Run from image
>    - Run from RAM - requires 1 GB+
>    - Verify and run from image
>
>Each of these choices gave these results:
>initrd.img...................................................................................
>    Ready.
>    .
>    Decompressing Linux...done.
>    Booting the kernel.
>    ata1:softreset failed (1st FIS failed)
>    ata2:softreset failed (1st FIS failed)
>    hub 2-2:1.0: config failed, can't get hub status (err -62)
>
>    Kernel alive

What a drag.  That magic moment when the newly built machine is going
to come up and rock, and it fails.

I think you have either bad hardware or you have a bios setting
that is incorrect.  It has been awhile since I built a machine, but I
seem to recall a BIOS setting that is for installing a non microsoft
OS.

In your situation I would spend a while stepping through BIOS options
looking for something that sounds like a likely error.

Another alternative would be to try a 32 bit version of the Fedora 7
live CD instead of the 64 bit version.  Shot in the dark.

Perhaps someone who is familiar with the kernel will know the problem
from the errors your posted.  I did a little searching and it appears
that the soft reset error is a sata error, but the hub error is a USB
error.  I couldn't find anything specific about the err -62.  You might
try disabling the USB to see if that will allow you to boot the machine.

It appears from the quote below that it is possible to run linux on that
system.
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.os.linux.hardware/browse_thread/thread/4beae17f5cfde6e6/520044d7cf4e4256?lnk=st&q=+ASUS+M2A-VM+HDMI+mainboard+with+an+AMD64X2+3800++processor&rnum=1

  I've got an ASUS M2A-VM HDMI mainboard with an AMD64X2 3800+ processor
  that I've installed Debian/Etch on. Everything works fine, almost,
  except for the ACPI function. If I set acpi=on or acpi=force, I get a
  kernel panic when booting. If I set acpi=off, the machine doesn't turn
  itself off when shutting down (and presumably other power management
  functions are also blocked).

Later response

  Never mind. I switched to Ubuntu Feisty Fawn (2.6.20 kernel instead of
  2.6.18 in Etch) and that resolved all the problems I had been having.

Which makes me suspect BIOS or hardware even more.

Good luck.