Re: get rid of files and directories with spaces in them

On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 21:37:12 -0500
Scott Berry <sberry northlc com> wrote:

> How does one get rid of files and directories with spaces in them?  I tried
> rm and it doesn't want to remove the files or folders?

Put a \ in front of the space to "escape" it.

So if you have a file name like this:

file name.txt

You can delete it like this:

rm file\ name.txt

You can "escape" other characters that would otherwise have special meaning
(brackets, apostrophes, and the like) in the same way.