2.6.22.1-27 and no wireless (3945)

George Avrunin avrunin at math.umass.edu
Sun Jul 22 00:43:01 UTC 2007

On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 01:11:45 +0100 "Ian Malone" <ibmalone at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 21/07/07, Steven Stern <subscribed-lists at sterndata.com> wrote:
> >
> > The wireless adapter in my Sony (Intel Pro 3945ABG) is not detected with
> > this kernel. It worked with 2.6.21-1.3228.
> >

> Which driver are you using?  I've got an Intel Pro
> 3945ABG running with the ipw3945 driver, using
> the Freshrpms dmks based package.  When I
> saw your message I rebooted (since I hadn't done
> that since getting the kernel update this morning).
> DKMS built the driver but for whatever reason
> NetworkManager didn't see the device (I assume
> the driver wasn't loaded for some reason).
>
> Since there were no errors apparent in /v/l/messages
> or dmesg I tried rebooting and that appears to have
> fixed it.  Possibly some dkms oddness caused it to
> fail the first time.
>
> Otherwise if you're using Livna ipw395 or the new
> iwlwifi I'm afraid I can't help.

I also don't have a wlan0 device with iwl3945 in the new kernel.  The first
time I booted, the kernel didn't find my Intel 82573L Gigabit Etherent
Controller, either, but a shutdown and  fresh boot seemed to fix that.  So I
shutdown completely and rebooted a couple of more times in case the magic
would work again, but it still doesn't find the wireless.

(And this kernel doesn't seem to fix the wildly varying ping times in
the e1000 driver, either, but it doesn't seem to make them any worse.)

  George

  George