switch from Matrox G450 to GeForce 6200/6200TC

Francois frmas at free.fr
Sun Jul 22 15:23:10 UTC 2007

On dimanche 22 juillet 2007, Chris Jones wrote:
> > 	I have never done this but today the Fedora kernels have just about
> > every graphic card known in them. But yours sounds a bit special so
> > there may be a problem. The way to do it will be to open the computer
> > while it is turned off, remove your current card and put in the new
> > card and boot your FC6.
>
> The kernel has nothing to do with this.
>
> Whats important is whether the Xorg version you are running supports your
> new card. What I would do is.
>
> 1. Backup your current xorg.conf file (/etc/X11/xorg.conf) so you save
> your current settings, which work with your current card.
>
> 2. Trun off and replace the card.
>
> 3. Turn on. If you are lucky, at this point kudzu, the hardware detector,
> will kick in to tell you your hardware has changed and ask if you want to
> configure it. I'm not sure, since I've never done this, but I would hope
> this should rewrite your current xorg.conf file for your new hardware...
> (basically just replace the driver).

Thank you Chris, it has worked like a charm.
I checked that the nv rpm package was already installed,
I turned on kudzu, changed the card, backed up my Xorg.conf file, and voila.
Reboot, and kudzu didn't ask nothing, but I suppose it did something as
Xorg.conf has been changed automagically to match my new graphic card,

> 4. ALl going well when you finish the boot continues and X is up and
> running. If not, then post your Xorg.log here for help.
>
> 5. If it does, then at this point you have a decision. If the default OSS
> nv driver (which is what Xorg will give you) is enough, then thats it. If
> you want 3D suport, you will need to install the nvidia binary driver,
> making sure to choose the one that is compatible with your card. Looking
> at
> http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/100.14.11/README/appendix
>-a.html it seems you can use the main release, and don't have to bother
> with the legacy ones (which I need to run)

Can you give me more info on that.
I have installed : xorg-x11-drv-nv-1.2.0-4.fc6
But you say, that with it I don't have 3D support ?
lspci gives me :
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV44A [GeForce 6200]
(rev a1) (prog-if 00 [VGA])
	Flags: bus master, 66MHz, medium devsel, latency 64, IRQ 9
	Memory at d2000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16M]
	Memory at e0000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M]
	Memory at d1000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16M]
	Capabilities: [44] AGP version 3.0

What rpm file do I have to download according to my new card to get such
support ?
Thank you. Francois