Sylpheed 2.3.1 rpm and 2.4.4 self-compile

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Sun Jul 22 22:06:17 UTC 2007

Frank Cox wrote:
> As there is a fix for the gmail bug in the latest  version of Sylpheed that has
> not yet made it into the F7 repository, I decided to compile it myself.
>
> rpmbuild -ta --clean sylpheed-2.4.4.tar.bz2
>
> I then did "yum remove sylpheed" and "rpm -i sylpheed-2.4.4-1.i386.rpm "

You could have done it in one operation.

yum localupdate sylpheed
or
rpm -U sylpheed-2.4.4-1.i386.rpm

Not critical here, but necessary when the package has other packages
that depend on it.

> It works fine with the exception of automatic spell checking.
>
> On the F7 repository build of Sylpheed 2.3.1, Configuration - Common Preferences
> - Compose - Spell Checking exists.
>
> On my self-compile of 2.4.4, there is no Spell Checking tab under that same
> Compose menu.
>
> The only references I can find to spell checking on Sylpheed are instructions
> for how to implement ispell or aspell to run off of the editor tab in the
> compose window.
>
> So the question is:  Why does the repository build of Sylpheed have an
> on-the-fly spelling checker when my self-compile of a newer version doesn't?
>
> I suspect I have missed something that is required to compile this thing with
> on-the-fly spelling checker, but I can't find any reference that tells me what
> that would be.

You may want to download the source RPM that sylpheed was build off
of, and look at the .spec file they used. There are probably some
patches as well. (The source rpm is in one of the *-source repo's,
but they are not enabled by default.)

Mikkel