Mystery of chroot

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Sun Jul 22 22:48:03 UTC 2007

David Boles wrote:
> on 7/22/2007 1:41 PM, Felix Miata wrote:
>> On 2007/07/22 16:06 (GMT-0400) David Boles apparently typed:
>>
>>> As for Windows "needs reinstalling far more often than Linux"? Maybe for
>>> some. I installed XP PRO in early 2002, it is needed for work, and the
>>> only time I have had to reinstall was last spring when my hard drive
>>> failed and I replaced it. I would not say two times in six years is often.
>> A sample size of one machine is meaningless. Typical doz users have their
>> systems mucked up by all sorts of detritus, for which a common, and
>> sometimes only, escape is reinstallation.
>> http://cdbaby.com/mp3lofi/lbarker5-03.m3u
>
> Maybe. But it typically is not Windows that "mucks up" the system. It is
> the user. Those are them same users that can "muckup" a Linux install.
>
> ;-)

Using Windows for commercial products leads to all sorts of possible
problems from plug-n-play wrongly detecting the wrong device to simple
items like adding one new device to the system will mess up the whole
system. Then even removing the new hardware will still leave the system
destroyed. Once windows does the wrong thing, it is near impossible to
get it to revert back to a working state again.

However, I agree that a user for windows messes up the system by
deleting files instead of using its add remove features. The same user
would do similar to a Linux system if they had a Linux system instead of
windows.

Jim

--
Dow's Law:
	In a hierarchical organization, the higher the level,