A new use for Linux

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Mon Jul 23 17:29:13 UTC 2007

Les Mikesell wrote:
> Les wrote:
>
>> A straight magnet can mess it up a bit, but I don't know about total
>> erasure.  Generally degaussing takes an AC field, such as that from the
>> degausing strip around a TV set or monitor (you degause tube type
>> monitors and tv's to keep the color guns from being biased and giving
>> fringes around the images).  And a hard disk drive is "saturation" type
>> recording, and some of the new ones use a very deep form of recording
>> that is different from the surface recording done on magnetic tape.  So
>> if you wish to degauss a drive (remove all forms of data including
>> formatting and bad sector stuff), then a very high strength degaussing
>> platform is needed.  Or a 5 lb or heavier hammer applied with gusto to
>> the platters seems to do a pretty thorough job, unless you are
>> discussing state secrets or the next advent of computing.
>
> Or use that hammer to drive a small steel punch all the way through the
> drive.  It's quick and someone would have to be pretty determined to get
> any data back after that.

The newer platters are much harder as we found out when we tried to cut
some drives up with a metal saw.  To hard.

I read an article of using "Coke" (I prefer Pepsi) and drill a few holes
in the top of the case.  Fill with Coke and let sit.  Soon the surface
of the platters are now etched.

I was going through some old drives and destroying them.  I ended up
just drilling holes and soaking them in water.  Destroyed the circuit
boards with a hammer as well.

It would be interesting what size of magnetic field is necessary to
fully erase a drive still in it's case.

I did find this.

http://www.darkreading.com/document.asp?doc_id=97378
--
Due to the move to Exchange Server,
    anything that is a priority, please phone.