Video problems after kickstart installation

Rick Stevens rstevens at internap.com
Tue Jul 24 00:27:43 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-07-23 at 19:15 -0400, Arch Willingham wrote:
> I have been experimenting with automatic installations via Kickstart. After a successful manual install, I took an existing file (/root/anaconda-ks.cfg) and opened it in system-config-kickstart. Once I finished (I just left most of it with the defaults), I ended up with a new kickstart file. I used it to fire off two different installs. In each case, once they were finished, all you can see on the screen is about a 1/2" tall "X" for a cursor. If you move the mouse around, the screen will appear then disappear. After  while a message pops up about it not being able to properly start the X server.
>
> With that said, my kickstart file is shown below. I'm assuming the line that says "xconfig  --defaultdesktop=GNOME --depth=8 --resolution=640x480 --startxonboot" is teh problem. Should I just comment it out, change the depth, etc?
>
> Any ideas would be appreciated!
>
> Arch
>
> #platform=x86, AMD64, or Intel EM64T
> # System authorization information
> auth  --useshadow  --enablemd5
> # Use graphical install
> graphical
> # Firewall configuration
> firewall --enabled  --port=ftp:tcp,smtp:tcp,nfs:tcp,ssh:tcp,netbios-ns:udp,netbios-dgm:udp,netbios-ssn:tcp,microsoft-ds:tcp,https:tcp,telnet:tcp
> firstboot --disable
> # Use interactive kickstart installation method
> interactive
> # System keyboard
> keyboard us
> # System language
> lang en_US
> # Root password
> rootpw --iscrypted XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
> # SELinux configuration
> selinux --permissive
> # Install OS instead of upgrade
> install
> # Use NFS installation media
> nfs --server=xxxxxx --dir=/xxx/xxxxx/xxx
> # Network information
> network --bootproto=dhcp --device=eth0 --onboot=on
> # Reboot after installation
> reboot
> # System timezone
> timezone  America/New_York
> # X Window System configuration information
> xconfig  --defaultdesktop=GNOME --depth=8 --resolution=640x480 --startxonboot
> # System bootloader configuration
> bootloader --append="rhgb quiet" --location=mbr --driveorder=sda
> # Clear the Master Boot Record
> zerombr
> # Partition clearing information
> clearpart --all
>
> %packages

You might want to change that to "%packages --resolve-deps" just to be
sure things get resolved.

> @office
> @engineering-and-scientific
> @admin-tools
> @editors
> @system-tools
> @text-internet
> @gnome-desktop
> @core
> @authoring-and-publishing
> @base
> @hardware-support
> @games
> @java
> @base-x
> @graphics
> @dial-up
> @smb-server
> @printing
> @kde-desktop
> @server-cfg
> @development-libs
> @development-tools
> @sound-and-video
> @graphical-internet
> kdepim
> speedcrunch
> festival
> fuse
> audit
> scribus
> pax
> libifp
> digikam
> kipi-plugins
> libsane-hpaio
> netpbm-progs
> kdegraphics
> pptp
> efax
> kdemultimedia-extras
> imake
> jack-audio-connection-kit
> kdemultimedia-extras
> kaffeine
> mikmod
> kdemultimedia
> akode
> amarok
> konversation
> -BackupPC
> -totem
> -totem-mozplugin

You might also boot the machine into single user mode and check
"~root/install.log" to see if there were any errors in the installation.

- Rick Stevens, Principal Engineer             rstevens at internap.com -
-            The gene pool could use a little chlorine.              -