USB stick mounting problems.

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Tue Jul 24 17:35:50 UTC 2007

I know there were several threads on problems mounting USB memory
sticks using the 2.6.22.1-27 kernel, and I am sorry for starting a
new one. But if the people with sticks that will not mount will do
me a favor, maybe we can get a handle on what the problem is. I was
doing some playing around, and it looks like the partition type
makes a difference on mounting. If you run "fdisk -l /dev/sdx" where
x is the letter of the USB memory stick, and look at the partition
type of partition 1, the post the type and weather the stick mounts.
What I think is going on is that the HAL rules to mount the sticks
is having a problem with some partition types.

My own experience:
PNY 128M stick - mounts.
/dev/sda1   *           1         495      126704    6  FAT16:

Nextdisk 32M stick - does not mount.
/dev/sda1   *           1         998       31920    4  FAT16 <32M

The messages in /var/log/messages for the two devices are the same
except for the identification string...

Mikkel