how flexible is pam?

I'm thinking of using this pam module but the path to the passwd/shadow pair needs to be dynamically set based a part of the user's id:

http://puszcza.gnu.org.ua/software/pam-modules/manual/html_node/fshadow.html

My question is more general.  I suppose pam is flexible but I find most everything is still hardcoded.  As a procmail user, I ask if there are any ways that pam conf files could interpret environment variables, conditionals, etc.

Thanks,
-eric wood