F7 Help

antonio montagnani antonio.montagnani at gmail.com
Wed Jul 25 16:19:52 UTC 2007

2007/7/25, Chris Jones <jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk>:

> > this is a standard installation of Fedora: LVM???
>
> If its LVM that might complicate things.
>
> > And how do I run fsck from another PC (that is here..)??
>
> Urm... Just connect the disk to a working linux box. When you do that it
> will become available as one of the nodes under /dev/ (something like
> /dev/hdb1 /dev/sda1 etc. exactly what depends on the machine. running
> dmesg after pluging it in might tell you what).
>
> once you have identified what it is, just run
>
>   > fsck /dev/XXXX
>
> Chris
>
> > How do I run fsck from the single box??? ifI issue only fsck from
> > shell I get the warning that /etc/fstab cannot be open
>
> --

I get (the usb hard disk should be sdb..)

fsck /dev/sdb1
fsck 1.39 (29-May-2006)
e2fsck 1.39 (29-May-2006)
/boot: clean, 21/26104 files, 21659/104388 blocks
[root at Casa ~]# fsck /dev/sdb2
fsck 1.39 (29-May-2006)
e2fsck 1.39 (29-May-2006)
Couldn't find ext2 superblock, trying backup blocks...
fsck.ext2: Bad magic number in super-block while trying to open /dev/sdb2

filesystem.  If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2
    e2fsck -b 8193 <device>

--
Antonio Montagnani
Skype : antoniomontag