scrambled panel & x-session loss: update

charles f. zeitler cfzeitler at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 25 20:37:46 UTC 2007

--- "charles f. zeitler" <cfzeitler at yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- Jim Cornette <fc-cornette at insight.rr.com> wrote:
>
> > charles f. zeitler wrote:
> > > this sunday my xga monitor started acting up,
> > > the screen goes out & drops me to a login screen.
> > >
> > > i switched to my back-up monitor, and same scene.
> > >
> > > after re-attaching my xga monitor, i find my upper
> > > panel scrambled, "apps" "places" and "system'
> > > are now right-center, launchers to the right,
> > > clock left-center... and the 'move' function
> > > is greyed out...
> >

> > Drop to runlevel 3 or boot into runlevel 3 and run
> > system-config-display --reconfig
> >
> > This should reconfigure your display from scratch and hopefully better.
> >
> > This has to be performed as root user.
> >
> > Another option is to run
> > X -configure
> > which will make a configuration file located in your directory called
> > /root. If it works, you will have to move the created file to /etc/X11
> > from root and rename it as xorg.conf.
> > You might have to control-alt-backspace to kill the server and there
> > should be instructions at the prompt to test the configuration file.
> >
> > Jim
> >

> thanks for the tip.
> i went single-user & did the system-config-display thing.
> the next day or two should tell if this helps.
> i found root's panel in good shape, but mine is still scrambled. ugh.
> it looks like a shift to the right occurs.

about one day later & no crash so far...

i made a new panel to fix the other issue (duh!)

thanks again, Jim.

charles zeitler

:                  Do  What Thou  Wilt                     :

:                       Shall  Be                          :

:                The  Whole  of The  Law                   :

                            --Aleister Crowley--