X-Windows on Remote

Gordon Messmer yinyang at eburg.com
Wed Jul 25 21:38:11 UTC 2007

Mike Dwiggins wrote:
> Gordon Messmer wrote:
>> Mike Dwiggins wrote:
>>> Admitting a lack of knowledge here, what is the best way to run an
>>> x-windows session on SSH from a remote location.
>>>
>>> I can not seem to get Putty to cooperate at all for X-Windows.
>>
>> As long as you configure Putty to do X11 forwarding, the only other
>> requirements are that:
>> * the remote host needs to allow X11 forwarding
> Think you pegged it Frank, I need to study up on that

Allowing X11 forwarding is Red Hat's default configuration.  Unless
you've changed something, it should be fine.

>> * xauth needs to be in your path on the remote host
> Loging in as root so that should not be a problem ( I think).

xauth is in everyone's path, as long as it's installed.  If you did a
"base" install, then it's not.  Log in to the Linux system and type:

which xauth

If it gives you a path, then that's also fine.  At that point, you
should also be able to:

echo $DISPLAY

The system should then print "localhost:10.0" or something similar.  If
not, then make sure you configured putty to request X11 forwarding.

>> * the local system needs an X11 server that is configured to allow
>> connections from localhost
> The problem is that all of those suggested need X-Windows to download.
> Kinda like the Post Office in Brooklyn (OK, Old Joke).

Yes, if you want to run an X11 session from a remote location, you'll
need an X11 server at the remote location.  Several Free Software X11
servers are available, including Cygwin:
http://x.cygwin.com/