2.6.22 breaks Canon MP170 printer/scanner

monty19@ hotmail.com monty19 at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 26 01:42:20 UTC 2007

I have my Canon MP170 printer/scanner set up to work with Fedora 7. The
scanner works with xsane with no special changes on the 2.6.21 kernel. I
have booted back to 2.6.21 to confirm this. It no longer is detected by
xsane with the 2.6.22 kernel.

I have the printer setup using turboprint (and shared to some other
computers using CUPS IPP printing.) Printing locally seems to be very
very slow, but more or less works. Printing from the remote computers is
extremely erratic. Printing some things just go off into space with cups
claiming they printed properly, while others actually do work.

One thing that I have noticed is that with 2.6.21  entries in /dev/ were
made for the printer at /dev/bus/usb/005/001 and /dev/bus/usb/005/002
and these no longer exist with 2.6.22. I tried using MAKEDEV to create
them and it has no clue what I am talking about.

Any ideas how I might get my printing and scanning working again with
the 2.6.22 kernel, or should I file a bug report and pray?