Kernel Panic with RAID

Andy Green andy at warmcat.com
Thu Jul 26 08:32:09 UTC 2007

>>> I notice that my IDE HDD shows up as a SCSI drive (sda)
>>> Also, when I try to boot from my Adaptec 1200A RAID controller, I get a
>>> kernel panic error.
>
>> This can be because a necessary driver module for the Adaptec device was
>> not placed into the initrd... what does it say around the panic message?
>
> Thanks Andy, I'll have a look at my .config file I must have overlooked it.

Well that would kill it, but also mkinitrd can do the wrong thing and
miss out copying critical modules.  You can regenerate the initrd fairly
easily using mkinitrd by hand.

If you want to see what modules are in the initrd, you can use this plan

mkdir /tmp/initrd
cp /boot/initrd-blah.img /tmp/initrd
cd /tmp/initrd
gunzip -S .img initrd-blah.img