Cannot write to SD card

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Thu Jul 26 12:24:01 UTC 2007

Dotan Cohen wrote:
> I have a 2 GB Sandisk SD card that I often write to. Just today, it
> has started to be mounted read-only:
> cp: cannot create regular file `bg.jpg2': Read-only file system
>
> The read-write switch on  the side of the card is set to write, and
> I've never had trouble with it before. So I figured that I'll be smart
> and man mount, in where I discovered the -w flag, but I get this
> error:
> [root at localhost ~]# mount -w /media/disk
> mount: /dev/sda1 already mounted or /media/disk busy
> mount: according to mtab, /dev/sda1 is already mounted on /media/disk
>
> So I tried unmounting it, but the device seems to be busy:
> [root at localhost ~]# umount /media/disk
> umount: /media/disk: device is busy
> umount: /media/disk: device is busy
    I always get this because I'm logged in on /media/disk/ and then ask
for it to unmount it's busy. Try it after you are logged into your home.

> There are no open konqueror windows, or anything else that might be
> accessing the card, so far as I can tell. What must one do to either:
> 1) determine what is accessing the disk
> or
> 2) Force umount anyway
>
> Thanks in advance.

    I use Gnome and when I put a card in it shows up on the desktop and
there you can select to unmount the card. I have watched my 2 GB card
when I select umount and it flashes some times and I pull it out.

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User