Kernel Panic / Crash, Kdump no help

Kevin H. Hobbs hobbsk at ohiou.edu
Thu Jul 26 17:35:07 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-07-26 at 17:33 +0100, Alan Cox wrote:
> What do you get on the console when not in X ?

Unfortunately I haven't seen anything on the text console yet.

> > Any clue why kexec and kdump don't work?
>
> Nope sorry

Drat, thanks anyway.

> There is a tool called memtest86 which can do serious grade memory
> testing and will also sometimes find cache problems as well if they are
> there. Worth running on the box for a day or so

I've just run memtest86 a few times. I ran it with all four memory
modules in and got errors almost immediately. I ran it on each module
individually for one pass and I got no errors. I guess I'll try it in
pairs. Is there any reason why using both memory channels would cause
trouble?