suspend/resume: close to depression

Michel Van den Bergh michel.vandenbergh at uhasselt.be
Sat Jul 28 12:30:56 UTC 2007

Hi,

I own a Dell D505 laptop which has been suspending/resuming nicely since
FC4 (and with
some quirks in FC3). After a harddisk crash I just installed F7 and to
my incredible disbelief S/R
functionality has stopped working (the system wakes up but the screen
remains blank). After wasting
a morning trying out "quirks" I am now reinstalling FC6.

What is it with Fedora (or Linux?) that causes major things to break
with every os upgrade?
I understand that it is difficult to support very new hardware but this
laptop is three years old and was
perfectly supported up to now.

I am a believer in Linux/OSS and will continue to use it no matter what.
However for most casual users
this is enough to turn them away from Linux forever.

Michel