suspend/resume: close to depression

stan stanl at cox.net
Sat Jul 28 16:22:27 UTC 2007

On Sat, 28 Jul 2007 15:38:53 +0200
Patrick <fedora-list at puzzled.xs4all.nl> wrote:

> Hi Michel,
>
> On Sat, 2007-07-28 at 14:30 +0200, Michel Van den Bergh wrote:
> > Hi,

[snip]
> > What is it with Fedora (or Linux?) that causes major things to
> > break with every os upgrade?
>
> Dunno but with the fast & furious pace of kernel development
> regressions are almost inevitable. That's ok as long as they get
> fixed at the same pace.

This sort of thing, where something that has worked forever suddenly
breaks indicates a failure of process.  That is institutional
knowledge that has been forgotten.  Suddenly the wheel has to be
reinvented.  The fast and furious pace becomes busy work because it
isn't really going anywhere.  Each new 'fix' creates a new fire to
fight.  Again, this is a breakdown of process.

Perhaps the kernel has grown beyond the point where people can keep it
all in their head.  Maybe it is time for -gasp!- managers.  That after
all is the role of management - going meta to a process to be sure that
it works properly, and to optimize it.  And, horror of horror, meetings
among stakeholders to ensure that everyone is on the same page and
marching in the same direction.  More formality, more bureaucracy.  Ugh!

This didn't seem to be as large a problem when there was a development
branch and a stable branch.  Perhaps that is just coincidence though.

And yes, we all expect regressions, just not in major components.

It might not even need more resources than are currently available,
just the application of those resources in a more efficacious manner.

And maybe there is nothing wrong at all and this is just noise. :-)