How to set buildid and version fields in kernel SPEC file

Robert L Cochran cochranb at speakeasy.net
Sun Jul 29 00:53:18 UTC 2007

How do I edit the version and buildid of a SPEC file for a kernel
compile such that the version and buildid will show up in the final,
binary kernel package? For example suppose I have a file
kernel-2.6.22.spec which came with the Fedora kernel sources. How do I
set the buildid and version such that the resulting binary kernel RPM
will be:

kernel-2.6.23-1-16bob-x86_64.rpm

I think the above conforms to the

My current kernel builds are succeeding. I haven't actually installed
and booted to one yet. However the rpm binaries have exactly the same
names as the original kernel rpms that were released. So I'm doing
something wrong when editing the spec file. I'm using rpmbuild:

rpmbuild -bb --with baseonly --without debug-info target=`uname -m`
kernel-2.6.22.spec

Thanks

Bob Cochran