Re: ftp slow w/ proftpd# Samba fast

At 8:31 PM +1000 7/30/07, David Timms wrote:
>Excalibur Xcalibur wrote:
>> Even after this:
>>
>> UseReverseDNS off
>> IdentLookups off
>>

>> in /etc/proftpd.conf
>>
>> it still sucks! I've never seen such a sluggish ftp server.
>Perhaps you would like to try vsftpd. I have not had such problems with it.

One complaint I have against vsftpd (and most ftp servers) is that they
allow unlimited password cracking attempts.  Proftpd can be configured to
limit the attempts per connection.  I have set ours to 1 attempt and
protect ftp with the same iptables recent module rules that protect ssh.
As ftp (and sometimes ssh) often have many file transfers in a row, each in
separate connections, I use pam_recent to clean the recent module's list.

On our server proftpd is fast.