yum peculuarity on i586 and i686 rpms

Andy Green andy at warmcat.com
Tue Jul 31 14:06:56 UTC 2007

> Ok, I require clarification.  My yum updates does not include
> the kernel-2.6.1-33.fc7 because in the repos there is not i386 kernel
> with this  version even though they are i386 repos. On the other hand
> the kernel-headers-2.6.1-33.fc7 was installed because this is a
> designated as a i386 rpm.
>
> Is there a rule covering this? Why are others getting this later kernel
> version installed?

Kernel headers doesn't contain anything that is different between 586 or
686, it's just modified header files from the kernel source.

Check and see what arch your kernel packages are really tagged as like this

# rpm -q --qf "%{name}-%{version}-%{release} %{arch}\n" kernel
kernel-2.6.22-0.5.rc7.git2.fc8 i686
kernel-2.6.22.1-27.fc7 i686
kernel-2.6.23-0.44.rc0.git16.fc8 i686

Is it possible these "ez" packages have confused matters?

-Andy