Upgrade To FC 7: Unable to mount /tmp

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Tue Jul 31 15:32:22 UTC 2007

Ben Mohilef wrote:

> We are trying to upgrade an old hunk'o'junk dual athlon box from FC5 to
> FC7 using a DVD. Unfortunately the installer claims that it can not mount
> /dev/hda15 as /tmp and aborts. /tmp mounts nomally on FC5 ( not nosuec
> or noexec) and I can't find any unusual attributes. It fscks cleanly as do
> all the other partitions.
>
> There are a spectacular dearth of diagnostics here. The FC5 works
> flawlessly.   Has anyone else seen this problem? Am I overlooking the
> obvious somewhere? A clean install is just not practical on this box.

1. I think you should use labels for all your partitions.
This is annoying, but you get into difficulty in Fedora-7
(Nb it is no longer called Fedora Core)
if you don't use labels.

2. Some time ago (with RedHat 8 or 9)
I had problems trying to use /dev/sda15 .
At that time the install program would only accept 14 SCSI partitions.
(Once installed, you could re-create /dev/sda15 .)
But I doubt if that is any longer true.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366