Tired of making coasters

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Sat Jun 2 17:42:41 UTC 2007

David G. Miller wrote:

> Yes, it's a problem in this case.  I would like to confirm that specific
> functionality works with the Fedora 64-bit kernel.  As an example, my
> laptop has a Broadcom 4306 wireless NIC that currently only works with
> ndiswrapper when running with a 64-bit kernel.  It seems like 64-bit is
> the poor step-child when it comes to things like wireless support,
> memory card readers, etc.  Anything that doesn't work 64-bit but works
> under 32-bit tends to get a response of, "Just run 32-bit."

That likely to be the case for quite sometime. The user base in over 80%
still on x86 possibly because some popular proprietary software hasn't
moved over.

http://smolt.fedoraproject.org/stats

I doubt that any combination of Live or regular images would fit into
all end user/system admin/developer requirements which is one of the
reasons there is a focus on spinning your own.

http://www.redhatmagazine.com/2007/05/31/remixing-fedora-7/

Rahul