leftover fc6 rpms after fedora 7 upgrade

Rick Stevens rstevens at internap.com
Fri Jun 1 18:57:21 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-06-01 at 11:17 -0500, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> On Thu, May 31, 2007 at 19:48:40 -0600,
>   Frank Cox <theatre at sasktel.net> wrote:
> > After upgrading this computer from FC6 to Fedora 7 I see that I have several
> > left-over FC6 rpms that didn't get replaced for some reason:
>
> If you upgraded without using the everything repository some of these may
> be things that were superceded in extras.
>
> You might want to get a list of all of the everything rpms and see which
> of these aren't on that list.

Some packages weren't changed by F7 and the names will still contain
".fc6".  This is very clearly stated in the release notes, which should
be mandatory reading by anyone installing (or upgrading to) F7.  I
quote:

8.5. Packages with ".fc6" Tag
There have not been any major changes in the toolchain in Fedora 7.
Therefore, some packages in Fedora 7 might retain ".fc6" in the release
tag if they have been inherited from the previous release without any
changes. Fedora maintainers have not rebuilt these packages for Fedora 7
to avoid making end users download the packages for only a release tag
change. This measure ensures that the robustness is not affected by any
potential changes evoked by rebuilds. This naming of packages is merely
cosmetic, and does not in any way affect the functionality of the
software.

Read the release notes.  Please!

- Rick Stevens, Principal Engineer             rstevens at internap.com -
-   Never test for an error condition you don't know how to handle.  -