bittorrent speed way too low, what possible causes?

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Fri Jun 1 20:42:16 UTC 2007

Scott (angrykeyboarder) wrote:
> Around or about Friday 01 June 2007 09:36 am, stan spake thusly:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I used torrent to get the F7 live CD and DVD images.  And then let it
>> run overnight to seed.  I've tested my system with the online speed
>> sites and my upload is ~540 KB/sec.  My service from Cox says 512 -
>> 2MB/sec.
>>
>> Yet bittorrent-curses maxed out at around 70 KB/sec.  I used the
>> max_upload_rate = 0 to let it go at the maximum rate.
>>
>> I tried with the ports open and closed, no difference.
>>
>> Is there something else that would limit the upload speed from
>> bittorrent?
>>
>> I don't mind running torrents overnight as seeds as nothing
>> else is happening anyway.  But at these speeds it hardly seems
>> worthwhile.
>
> I'm a Cox.net customer too. I'm beginning to think that not only are they
> throttling BitTorrent downloads, but that they are throttling any downloads
> of .iso files, period (if that's possible).  BitTorrent has been so slow
> that I gave up a few times and tried downloading from various mirrors all
> over the planet and the result was the same.
>
> In fact, as long as I'm downloading iso files (via BitTorrent, ftp, or http)
> I'm timing out on anything on the Internet (Email, Usenet, you name it).
>
> I've never had this problem with Cox before. It must be a new thing.
>
> To say it has me very unhappy is an understatement.

I it interesting that you mention the fact that everything has gotten
bad when you use anything that requires large amounts of bandwidth.

One of the Cable ISP's in Canada (Rogers I believe) has gone to full
filtering and some have found that VPN connections and any encrypted
packets are very slow.

It sure sounds like filtering.  If you search you will find that this is
not a new problem.  The first step was to encrypt the data bittorrent
packets to get around the filtering.  Now ISP's are looking at all
packets.  This could be the issue.  Call your ISP's support staff when
this occurs.  Tell all your friends to do the same and get in touch with
the press.  Bad press is not what companies want to hear.  Look at other
options.

--
Due to the move to M$ Exchange Server,
    anything that is a priority, please phone.