Fedora 7: Finishing upgrade process. This may take a little while...

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Fri Jun 1 23:21:29 UTC 2007

William Perkins writes:

> sleep before terminating.  I think I may need to kill the upgrade
> but I am hoping that one of these days the upgrade will finish.

Yes, one day it'll finish.

> I am wondering if this is normal when doing upgrades rather than
> a fresh install.

Yes. For the last two-three releases, upgrades sucked. I hate to harp on
this, but large commercial customers do NOT do upgrades. They typically
either take a pristine RHEL installation image, or roll a company-specific
standard RHEL build. In either case, they just do a fresh install. The
server mounts all of its data over the network, the only thing on its local
disk is the OS. Because none of the data is hosted locally on each server,
and servers typically mount all data over the network, this results in a
turnkey installation process, for both new servers and upgrades.

Because large commercial customers don't care much for it, the upgrade
process is not much of a priority, as far as the development effort goes.

>                  The latter takes so long to get the system
> back to the original configuration.  Any suggestions?

Yeah.  Go out for dinner.  Maybe it'll be done by the time you come back.
You would've had a nice meal, and would not have had to stare at the
monitor, all this time.