leftover fc6 rpms after fedora 7 upgrade

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Fri Jun 1 22:38:15 UTC 2007

On Fri, Jun 01, 2007 at 11:57:21 -0700,
  Rick Stevens <rstevens at internap.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-06-01 at 11:17 -0500, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> > On Thu, May 31, 2007 at 19:48:40 -0600,
> >   Frank Cox <theatre at sasktel.net> wrote:
> > > After upgrading this computer from FC6 to Fedora 7 I see that I have several
> > > left-over FC6 rpms that didn't get replaced for some reason:
> >
> > If you upgraded without using the everything repository some of these may
> > be things that were superceded in extras.
> >
> > You might want to get a list of all of the everything rpms and see which
> > of these aren't on that list.
>
> Some packages weren't changed by F7 and the names will still contain
> ".fc6".  This is very clearly stated in the release notes, which should
> be mandatory reading by anyone installing (or upgrading to) F7.  I
> quote:
>
> 8.5. Packages with ".fc6" Tag
> There have not been any major changes in the toolchain in Fedora 7.
> Therefore, some packages in Fedora 7 might retain ".fc6" in the release
> tag if they have been inherited from the previous release without any
> changes. Fedora maintainers have not rebuilt these packages for Fedora 7
> to avoid making end users download the packages for only a release tag
> change. This measure ensures that the robustness is not affected by any
> potential changes evoked by rebuilds. This naming of packages is merely
> cosmetic, and does not in any way affect the functionality of the
> software.
>
> Read the release notes.  Please!

I did and I knew about some packages still having fc6 in the name. However it
is still possible when doing an upgrade to have some packages with fc6 in
the name that shouldn't be there any more. This might be because the upgrade
happened without access to the everything repository (or perhaps Livna's
F7 repository) or because the upgrade didn't handle that package.

Though I will say that the using the --last option suggestion was a better
option than trying to compare names.